Flood insurance is something that is required for some property owners and not for others. If your home has flooded in the wake of Harvey, and you don’t have flood insurance, you may still have options.
What to do if you don’t have flood insurance:
- Your first step is to apply for FEMA’s Disaster Assistance program.
- If you qualify for FEMA assistance, then you may receive enough to rebuild and recover.
- If you don’t qualify for FEMA assistance, you may have some other options. Consult an attorney about your situation to find out what you should do next.
- Know that recovering after a flood, especially after a flood as massive as Harvey, takes time. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
- Reach out to your community. There may be local resources to help you recover, such as:
- If you live in the Addicks and Barker reservoir spillway or downstream from the Lake Conroe dam and your house flooded because of those dam releases, you may qualify for an inverse condemnation lawsuit agains the government.
If you are denied assistance, you may have other legal options. Our attorneys will walk you through your situation, your legal options, and what your best course of action should be. Talking to us is 100% free and 100% confidential. As Houstonians, we know what you’re going through and want to help you rebuild and recover. Contact us now at 877-724-7800.