Zostavax lawsuits have been filed in federal and state courts around the country against Merck & Co., Inc., the manufacturer of the vaccine. These lawsuits claim the vaccine causes serious and sometimes fatal side effects. They also claim that Merck failed to properly inform patients and medical providers of the risk of developing shingles and other serious side effects from this vaccine.
These Zostavax lawsuit facts reveal how widespread the problems caused by this vaccine have become.
- Zostavax is a live virus shingles vaccine manufactured by Merck & Co Inc. It is designed to prevent shingles in people over the age of 50.
- 36 million doses of the vaccine were delivered between 2006 and 2017 in the United States.
- Merck reports that Zostavax’s effectiveness is 51%.
- More than 1,100 serious adverse events have been reported between 1990 and 2015. 90 of those reported events were deaths associated with the shingles vaccine.
- Mainly affecting people over the age of 60, shingles is a severe skin rash that tingles or burns. It usually develops in a single site on one side of your body.
- One out of every five people who get shingles develops long-lasting and potentially permanent nerve pain.
- In fact, the vaccine may cause you to develop the disease it is intended to prevent – shingles. It may also cause you to develop chickenpox.
- As of 2017, the CDC is recommending that people get the Shingrix vaccine rather than get the Zostavax vaccine.
- According to lawsuits, the type of shingles people develop after receiving the Zostavax vaccine is more severe and difficult to treat than if they had not gotten the vaccine.
- People claiming to have developed shingles from Zostavax must have received their vaccine after 2006.
- The lawsuits accuse Merck of failing to warn patients about potential Zostavax side effects.
- The lawsuits accuse Merck of continuing to sell Zostavax even after it knew the vaccine could injure people.
- The lawsuits also accuse Merck of lying about the safety and effectiveness of Zostavax.
- Our firm is part of the leadership committee for these shingles vaccine lawsuits against Merck, which means we are best positioned to help people who have been injured by the Zostavax vaccine.
As lead attorneys for the Zostavax cases, our attorneys are fighting to hold Merck accountable for putting their profits over your health. This vaccine is faulty, and Merck sold it to us anyway. Big Pharma has taken your quality of life, and they must be held accountable. If you received the vaccine after 2006 and have suffered any of these conditions, consult our attorneys immediately to find out how we can help you. Call us at 877-724-7800 or fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential consultation about your potential Zostavax lawsuit.